Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Coccus and Spirillium and Paramecium, oh my!

High school means biology class. I don't know about other high school biology classes, but if you have my biology class, you get to do some pretty cool......or gross......stuff. For example: last week I had to go down to the creek to get four samples of water. Then I had to put rice in one cup, dry grass in another, egg yolk in another, and soil in the last one. The purpose of this was to grow some bacterium (fun, right?). Well, today, I got to observe the bacterium I'd grown.
Here comes the fun part.

I set up my microscope, got a little bit of the bacterium-infected water sample onto a slide, and put it under the microscope. First of all, let me just say that the water STANK. It didn't just stink, it STANK. Second of all, there were all these wormy-thingies in the water, and things that looked like swimming bubbles, and these really gross ones that twisted themselves around and around to move. It was cool. But it was also really gross and nasty.
And now I get to gross you out, because my microscope can take videos of whatever it is I'm looking at! Hahaha, enjoy!


Getting the slide all set up.....

Getting ready to look at all the nasty bacterium.....





And here they are!


~by Steph

No comments: